The District of Columbia National Guard (DCNG) Office of the Staff Judge Advocate (OSJA) is comprised of the offices of the Army Staff Judge Advocate and the Air Staff Judge Advocate, and is staffed by full and part-time (traditional) attorneys, legal administrative warrant officers, paralegal noncommissioned officers and junior enlisted personnel trained in the paralegal career field. The DCNG OSJA is the principal action office responsible for providing legal support to all District of Columbia National Guard commands, elements, and directorates. The DCNG OSJA supports mission readiness by coordinating and developing key planning and operational documents for all DCNG Domestic Operation missions. The DCNG OSJA fosters personnel readiness within the DC Air and Army National Guard by providing professional and timely legal assistance to all DCNG members, eligible family members, and military retirees.
D.C. National Guard Legal Assistance Program
- Services such as wills, living wills, notarization, powers-of-attorney, or other legal assistance are by appointment only. You must call ahead to schedule legal services. The office does not provide services on a walk-in basis.
- Legal Assistance is available to members of the DC National Guard and their family members, retired military personnel and their family members, and survivors of members of the Armed Forces who would be eligible if the service member was alive.
- Legal Assistance Attorneys provide advice on most personal legal matters, review legal documents such as contracts and leases (if they are not related to a private income-producing business), and prepare wills, correspondence, and other legal documents.
- Legal Assistance Attorneys are NOT authorized to appear with you as your attorney of record in any court.
- Issues on which advice is provided include automobile accidents, wills, credit matters, repossessions, consumer complaints, living wills, health surrogate forms, tax assistance, life insurance contracts, and powers of attorney.
- The services of the Legal Assistance Office are provided without charge.