Official websites use .mil
Secure .mil websites use HTTPS
Brig. Gen. Shannon D. Smith is the Commander, 113th Wing, District of Columbia Air National Guard, Joint Base Andrews, Md. His responsibilities encompass a wing with over 1,300 members. Units include the 113th Operations, Maintenance, Mission Support, and Medical Groups. Flying units within the wing include the 121st Fighter and 201st Airlift Squadrons. The 121st is responsible for F-16C missions including overseas combat operations and the 24/7 National Capital Region Aerospace Control Alert duty and the 201st utilizes the C-40 to execute worldwide special air missions for cabinet members, Congress, and other senior military leaders.
Brig. Gen. Smith began his military career in May 1992 when he earned a regular commission through the Montana State University Reserve Officer Training Corps Program. He then served 10 years on active duty. Brig Gen Smith is a graduate of the USAF Weapons School, Class 98BIV, and later returned as an instructor. He has served over 20 years as an Air National Guardsman. Brig Gen Smith has served multiple combat tours and flown combat missions in support Operations IRAQI FREEDOM and ENDURING FREEDOM.
Prior to his current position, Brig Gen Smith served as Chief of Staff, Idaho Air National Guard, Joint Force Headquarters, Gowen Field, Idaho.
1992 Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering, Montana State University
1998 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1998 USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2005 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2013 Reserve Component National Security Course, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
2018 Executive Master of Business Administration, Boise State University, Boise, Idaho
2019 Joint Task Force Commander Training Course, USNORTHCOM
2020 Dual-Status Commander Qualification Program, USNORTHCOM
2021 Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification, Project Management Institute
1. April 1993 – May 1994, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, 80th Flying Training Wing (FTW), Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2. May 1994 – March 1997, A-10 Fighter Pilot, 75th Fighter Squadron, Pope Air Force Base (AFB), N.C.
(May 1994 – July 1994, Student, Intro to Fighter Fundamentals, 80th FTW, Sheppard AFB, Texas)
(September 1994 – March 1995, A-10 Qualification Training, 357th Fighter Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.)
(September 1995 – December 1995, A-10 Fighter Pilot, Al Jaber Air Base (AB), Kuwait)
3. March 1997 – April 1998, A-10 Instructor Pilot, Chief of Squadron Plans, 355th Fighter Squadron, Eielson AFB, Alaska
4. April 1998 – November 2000, A-10 Instructor Pilot, Chief of Squadron Weapons & Tactics, and Flight Commander, 355th Fighter Squadron, Eielson AFB, Alaska
(July 1998 – December 1998, Weapons Instructor Upgrade, 98BIV, USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.)
(April 1999 – July 1999, A-10 Weapons Officer, Al Jaber AB, Kuwait)
5. November 2000 – April 2002, Flight Commander, A-10 Weapons Instructor, USAFWS, Nellis AFB, Nev.
6. April 2002 – February 2009, A-10 Chief of Training, Weapons Officer, 190th Fighter Squadron, Gowen Field, Idaho
(December 2002 – May 2003, Air Expeditionary Group Weapons Officer, 438th Air Expeditionary Group, Al Jaber AB, Kuwait)
(April 2007 – July 2007, Expeditionary Group Weapons Officer, 455th Expeditionary Operations Group (EOG), Al-Asad AB, Iraq)
(April 2008 – July 2008, Expeditionary Group Weapons Officer, 455th EOG, Bagram AB, Afghanistan)
7. February 2009 – February 2011, Chief of Safety, 124th Fighter Wing, Gowen Field, Idaho
8. February 2011 – February 2012, Director of Operations, 190th Fighter Squadron, Gowen Field, Idaho
9. February 2012 – February 2014, Commander, 190th Fighter Squadron, Gowen Field, Idaho
(May 2013 – October 2013, Deputy Commander, 455th EOG, Bagram AB, Afghanistan)
10. February 2014 – July 2014, Deputy Commander, 124th Operations Group, Gowen Field, Idaho
11. July 2014 – June 2015, Commander, 124th Maintenance Group, Gowen Field, Idaho
12. June 2015 – May 2019, Commander, 124th Operations Group, Gowen Field, Idaho
13. May 2019 – November 2021, Commander, 124th Fighter Wing, Gowen Field, Idaho
(May 2019 – November 2021, Installation Commander, Gowen Field, Idaho)
14. November 2021 – June 2022, Director of Operations, Idaho Air National Guard, Joint Force Headquarters, Gowen Field, Idaho
15. June 2022 – July 2022, Chief of Staff, Idaho Air National Guard, Joint Force Headquarters, Gowen Field, Idaho
16. July 2022 – Present, Commander, 113th Wing, Joint Base Andrews, MD
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 4,600, including more than 4,300 in the A-10, with more than 500 in combat
Aircraft Flown: A-10C, A-10A+, A-10A, T-38 and T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with eight oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with valor with two oak leaf devices
Idaho Governor’s Outstanding Unit Citation with two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Oct. 28, 1992
First Lieutenant Oct. 28, 1994
Captain Oct. 28, 1996
Major Aug. 4, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Oct. 22, 2008
Colonel Aug. 21, 2014
Brigadier General May 31, 2022
(Current as of July 2022)