Col. Keith G MacDonald Bio Photo (Photo by SMSgt Craig Clapper)
Colonel Keith G. MacDonald is the Commander, 113th Wing, District of Columbia Air National Guard, Joint Base Andrews, Md. He is responsible for the command, control and oversight of the two flying units, an air sovereignty detachment and several supporting units. The 1,200 member wing consists of the 113th Maintenance Group, the 113th Mission Support Group, the 113th Medical Group, and the 113th Operations Group. Flying units include the 121st Fighter Squadron which provides F-16C+ aircraft for Air Expeditionary Forces and the Aerospace Control Alert responsible for the air defense of the National Capital Region, and the 201st Airlift Squadron which provides C-40 aircraft for global Very Important Person Special Airlift Missions (VIPSAM).
Col. MacDonald was commissioned in 1991 as a distinguished graduate from the Reserve Officer Training Corps program at Miami University of Ohio. Following undergraduate pilot training where he was a distinguished graduate in 1993, he served on active duty for nine years flying the A-10 Thunderbolt II aircraft. Col. MacDonald joined the Air National Guard in 2001, where he flew the A-10 as an instructor and combat search and rescue pilot. He served in the U.S. Central Command Joint Operations Center J3 during Operation Enduring Freedom. He has also flown combat sorties in operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.
Col. MacDonald has served in various operational and staff assignments. He served as 113th Maintenance Group Commander in the District of Columbia Air National Guard, where he was responsible for more than 650 personnel supporting F-16, C-38 and C-40 aircraft missions. He served in a joint assignment as Senior Policy Development Analyst, Homeland Defense & Americas’ Security Affairs, Office of Secretary of Defense. He has also served as the National Guard Bureau Joint Staff, Chief, Current Operations Division as the NGB Chief of Current Operations. Prior to his current position, Col. MacDonald served as the Vice Commander, Air National Guard Readiness Center, and Commander (ANGRC), 201st Mission Support Squadron, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland.
1991 Miami University of Ohio, Bachelor of Science, Finance, Oxford, Ohio
1998 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1998 USAF Aircraft Mishap Investigation Course, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2004 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2009 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2011 Joint Task Force Commanders Course, Peterson AFB, Colo.
2012 Naval War College, Masters of Arts, National Security and Strategic Studies, Newport, R.I.
2014 Senior Manager Course in National Security, Elliott School, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2014 Accelerated Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
1. March 1992–March 1993, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
2. March 1993–January 1994, Student, A-10 Upgrade Training, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
3. January 1994–April 1997, Instructor Pilot, 354th Wing, Eielson AFB, Alaska
4. April 1997–April 1998, Chief of Battalion Air Liaison Officers and Instructor Pilot, 51st Wing, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea
5. April 1998–May 2001, Flight Commander and Squadron Safety Officer, 355th Wing, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
6. May 2001–May 2005, Instructor Pilot, 104th Wing, Westover, Mass.
7. January 2004–May 2005, Air National Guard Fighter Functional Area Manager, ANGRC, Andrews AFB, Md.
8. May 2005–June 2007, Chief, Operational Plans Branch, Andrews AFB, Md.
9. June 2007–May 2010, Deputy Chief, Current Operations and Plans Division, ANGRC, Andrews AFB, Md.
10. May 2010–July 2011, Chief, Current Operations, NGB Joint Staff, Crystal City, Va.
11. July 2011–June 2012, Naval War College, Naval Station Newport, R.I.
12. June 2012–June 2014, Senior Policy Development Analyst, Homeland Defense & Americas’ Security Affairs, Office of the Secretary of Defense, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
13. June 2014–October 2015, Commander, 113th Maintenance Group, JB Andrews, Md.
14. October 2015–May 2016, Director of Logistics, NGB/A4, ANGRC, JB Andrews, Md.
15. May 2016–Dec 2016, Director of Logistics and Installations, NGB/A4, ANGRC, JB Andrews, Md.
16. Dec 2016–present, Vice Commander, ANGRC / Commander, 201st Mission Support Squadron, JB Andrews, Md.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2012–June 2014, Senior Policy Development Analyst, Homeland Defense & Americas’ Security Affairs, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Pentagon, Va., as a colonel
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: more than 2,900 including more than 150 combat hours
Aircraft Flown: T-37B, T-38A, A-10A/C, C-40
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 15, 1991
First Lieutenant Feb. 25, 1993
Captain Feb. 22, 1995
Major Feb. 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Oct. 18, 2007
Colonel Mar. 2, 2011
(Current as of November 2017)