Director, Joint Staff
District of Columbia Army National Guard
Brigadier General Maren McAvoy is the Director, Joint Staff, Joint Force Headquarters, District of Columbia National Guard. She is responsible for overseeing and managing the development, execution and evaluation of joint staff programs and policies pertaining to the command, control and operation of joint functions within the District of Columbia Army and Air National Guard.
General McAvoy enlisted in 1988 and subsequently commissioned as a second lieutenant in 1992. General McAvoy has held various staff and command assignments, to include Inspector General of the 113th Wing, Commander of the 113th Force Support Squadron, and the Director of Personnel, A-1 at Joint Force Headquarters. She served as the Joint Task Force Deputy J-1 during the 2009 Presidential Inauguration and as the acting J-1 for the 2013 Presidential Inauguration. Prior to her current position, General McAvoy served as Vice Commander of the 113th Wing, District of Columbia Air National Guard. She was the first female and first non-rated member serving in that role and oversaw the command and control of two flying units, an Aerospace Control Alert (ACA) detachment, and several supporting units, while coordinating civil-support missions, such as disaster response, humanitarian assistance, security and safety during National events.
In her civilian career, she interned at the National Transportation Safety Board in Washington, D.C., and served as a senior analyst in the U.S. Government Accountability Office from 2001 to 2016. General McAvoy is admitted to practice law in the state of Maryland.
1990 Associate of Arts degree in public administration, Buck County Community College, Newtown, Pa.
1991 Associate of Applied Science degree in personnel administration, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1993 Bachelor of Arts degree in pre-law and public administration, Temple University, Philadelphia, Pa.
1995 Master of Public Administration, Angelo State University, San Angelo, Texas
1998 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1999 Juris Doctor, St. Mary's University School of Law, San Antonio, Texas
2004 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2008 Air War College, by correspondence
2015 Joint Task Force Commander Training Course, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
2016 Dual Status Commander Course, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
1. June 1992 – June 1994, Intelligence Officer, 103d Fighter Squadron, Pennsylvania Air National Guard, Willow Grove Air Reserve Station, Pa.
2. June 1994 – June 1996, Intelligence Officer, 111th Operations Support Squadron, Pennsylvania Air National Guard, Willow Grove Air Reserve Station, Pa.
3. June 1996 – October 1998, Intelligence Officer, 149th Operations Support Squadron, Texas Air National Guard, Kelly Air Force Base, Texas
4. October 1998 – January 2006, Intelligence Officer, 113th Operations Support Squadron, District of Columbia Air National Guard, Andrews AFB, Md.
5. January 2006 – January 2008, Inspector General, 113th Wing, District of Columbia Air National Guard, Andrews AFB, Md.
6. January 2008 – January 2009, Commander, 113th Mission Support Flight, District of Columbia Air National Guard, Andrews AFB, Md.
7. January 2009 – July 2011, Commander, 113th Force Support Squadron, District of Columbia Air National Guard, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
8. July 2011 – December 2013, Director of Personnel, A-1, Joint Force Headquarters, District of Columbia Air National Guard, Washington, D.C.
9. December 2013 – January 2016, Vice Commander, 113th Wing, District of Columbia Air National Guard, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
10. January 2016 – Present, Director, Joint Staff, Joint Force Headquarters, District of Columbia National Guard, Washington, D.C.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS:
October 2001 – July 2002, Intelligence Officer-Targeting (deployed), U.S. Central Command, Tampa, Fl.
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with one silver and two oak leaf clusters
Army Superior Unit Award
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Southwest Asia Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon
Air Force Longevity Service Award with two oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Basic Military Training Honor Graduate Ribbon
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon with one device
Air Force Training Ribbon with one oak leaf cluster
District of Columbia National Guard Meritorious Service Medal
District of Columbia National Guard Community Service Ribbon
Louisiana National Guard Achievement Medal
Texas National Guard Outstanding Service Medal
Pennsylvania National Guard Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS:
Maryland State Bar Association
National Guard Association of the US, and District of Columbia, member
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
First Lieutenant July 31, 1994 Captain Sept. 13, 1996 Major Sept. 13, 2000 Lieutenant Colonel June 29, 2006 Colonel March 29, 2012
Brigadier General July 26, 2016
(Current as of September 2016)