GEORGE M. DEGNON
The Acting Adjutant General
District of Columbia Air National Guard
Brigadier General George
M. Degnon is The Acting Adjutant General of the District of Columbia National
Guard. Previously, he served as Commander, 113th Wing, District of
Columbia Air National Guard, Joint Base Andrews, Md. He was responsible
for the command, control and oversight of two flying units, an air sovereignty
detachment and several supporting units. The 1,200 personnel wing consists of
the 113th Operations Group, operating the F-16C+ aircraft and the Aerospace
Control Alert Detachment responsible for the air defense of the Nation's
Capital Region; the 201st Airlift Squadron operating C-38 and C-40 VIP
aircraft; the 113th Maintenance Group; the 113th Mission Support Group; and the
113th Medical Group.
General Degnon entered the Air Force in 1988after
graduating from the United States Air Force Academy with a degree in
Engineering. His operational flying assignments include OV-10s and F-16s with
the Air Combat Command, Air Education and Training Command, Pacific Air Forces
and U.S. Central Command. Colonel Degnon joined the District of Columbia Air
National Guard in 1998 and served as an instructor pilot, evaluator pilot,
Operations Officer and Commander for the 121st Fighter Squadron, Commander of
the 113th Operations Group and Vice Commander of the 113th Wing. He served as
the Director of Staff for the National Commission on the Structure of the Air
Force during his assignment with Reserve Affairs. During Colonel Degnon's most
recent assignment, he served as Deputy Director of Force Readiness, Officer of
the Assistant Secretary of Defense, Reserve Affairs, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
His combat deployments include Operation Desert Shield/Storm as a Jumpmaster
Qualified Battalion Air Liaison Officer with the 82nd Airborne in 1990;
Operation Iraqi Freedom with the 410th Air Expeditionary Wing in 2003; and
Operation Iraqi Freedom, Balad Air Base, Iraq, as the 332nd Expeditionary
Fighter Squadron Commander in 2006. Colonel Degnon's most recent deployment was
to Thumrait Air Base Oman as the Commander of US Forces for the joint exercise
Accurate Test/Beacon Flash in March 2012.
1984 U.S. Air Force Academy Preparatory School, U.S. Air
Force Academy, Colo.
1988 Bachelor of Science Degree in General Engineering, United States Air Force
Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado
1995 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
2003 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2006 Air War College, by correspondence
2011 Reserve Component
National Security Course, National Defense University, Arlington, Va.
2011 Joint Task Force Commander's Course, Peterson AFB, Colorado
2012 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education (RC), Joint Forces Staff
2014 Master of Business Administration, Jack Welch Management Institute at
Strayer University, Herndon, Va.
1. Sep 1988 - Sep 1989, Undergraduate Pilot Training,
Laughlin AFB, Texas
2. Jan 1990 - Apr 1990, OV-10 Replacement Training Unit (RTU), Davis-Monthan
3. May 1990 - Dec 1991, OV-10 Jumpmaster Qualified Forward Air Controller, 20th
Tactical Air Support Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C., (aligned with 4th Battalion, 2nd
Brigade, 82nd Airborne, Ft.Bragg, N.C.)
4. Jan 1992 - Nov 1992, AT-38B Stacked Pilot, 314th Tactical Fighter Squadron,
Holloman AFB, N.M.
5. Dec 1992 - May 1993, F-16 RTU, Luke AFB, Ariz.
6. Jun 1993 - Jun 1996, Flight Safety Officer, 14th Fighter Squadron, Misawa
7. Jul 1996 - Sep 1998, F-16 Instructor Pilot (IP) Flight Commander, 62nd Fighter
Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
8. Oct 1998 - Jul 2002, Flight Commander, IP, 121st Fighter Squadron, Andrews
9. Jul 2002 - Oct 2004, Director of Operations, 121st Fighter Squadron, Andrews
10. Nov 2004 - Mar 2005, Chief of Safety, 113th Wing, Andrews AFB, Md.
11. Mar 2005 - Aug 2007, Commander, 121st Fighter Squadron, Andrews AFB, Md.
12. Aug 2007 - Mar 2008, Deputy Operations Group Commander, 113th Operations
Group, and 3 month detail to NGB/A8X, Andrews AFB, Md.
13. Mar 2008 - Jun 2010, Commander, 113th Operations Group, Andrews AFB, Md.
14. Jul 2010 - May 2012 Vice Commander, 113th Wing, Andrews AFB, Md.
15. Jun 2012 - Nov 2012, Senior Official Inquiry Officer, Office of the
Inspector General of the Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
16. Nov 2012 - Apr 2014, Deputy Director for Force Readiness, Office of the
Assistant Secretary of Defense, Reserve Affairs, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
(Jun 2013 - Feb 2014, Director of Staff, National Commission on the Structure
of the Air Force, Arlington, Va.)
17. April 2014 - Present, Commander, 113th Wing, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: 3,600
Combat Hours: 160
Aircraft Flown: T-41, T-37, T/AT-38, OV-10, F-16, B-757/767, A-319/320
Pilot Wings From: Laughlin AFB, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Meritorious Unit Award
AF Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device and six oak leaf clusters
Army Superior Unit Award
Combat Readiness Medal with eight oak leaf clusters
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS
Air Force Association, member
National Guard Association of the US and District of Columbia, member
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1988
First Lieutenant June 1, 1990
Captain June 1, 1992
Major October 1, 1999
Lieutenant Colonel October 2, 2003
Colonel May 7, 2008
Brigadier General July 7, 2014